December is almost here, which means top ten lists are going to start coming hard, but few of the them will be as eclectic as the one from Cahiers du Cinema. The cinephile publication always goes its own way (Nanni Moretti‘s “Mia Madre” was their best film of 2015, for example), but this year, few will disagree or question their top pick.
Maren Ade‘s critically acclaimed “Toni Erdmann” came out victorious, and hopefully that will put the movie on a few more radars as it gears up to open in limited release next month. Provocation did well with critics at the magazine with Paul Verhoeven‘s “Elle” and Nicolas Winding Refn‘s “The Neon Demon” placing quite high. Auteurs like Bruno Dumont (“Slack Bay“) and Pedro Almodovar (“Julieta“) also made the grade, and we’re glad to see Kleber Mendonça Filho‘s “Aquarius” also get recognized.
Check out the full list below (which includes a few 2015 releases due to how things roll out internationally) and mark ’em all down as movies to catch up with. [EAM Cinema Magazine]
1. “Toni Erdmann” directed by Maren Ade
2. “Elle” directed by Paul Verhoeven
3. “The Neon Demon” directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
4. “Aquarius” directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho
5. “Ma Loute/Slack Bay” directed by Bruno Dumont
6. “Julieta” directed by Pedro Almodóvar
7. “Rester Vertical/Staying Vertical” directed by Alain Guiraudie
8. “La Loi de la jungle” directed by Antonin Peretjatko
9. “Carol” directed by Todd Haynes
10. “Le bois dont les rêves sont faits” directed by Claire Simon