It seems like only yesterday I wrote almost 2,000 words about how “Game of Thrones” has gone away from quality storytelling in a rush to the finish. Oh wait, it was just yesterday. And now, in what can only be described as terrible timing, it’s been revealed that Lucasfilm’s upcoming post-Skywalker Saga “Star Wars” trilogy that was recently announced will be the one spearheaded by ‘Thrones’ masterminds David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Get ready for some outrage online.
During the MoffettNathanson Media & Communications Summit (via Attractions), Disney CEO Bob Iger had some goodies for film fans. After discussing the CEO’s favorite recent topic, Disney+ and the streaming future, the conversation turned to Lucasfilm and what is coming up in the “Star Wars” universe. And surprisingly enough, the executive dropped the bombshell that Benioff and Weiss’ untitled “Star Wars” trilogy will make up the recent release dates that were announced beginning in 2022.
Now, we’re only slightly kidding about the “Game of Thrones” comparison. However, only slightly. You see, the last month and a half has seen Benioff and Weiss go from beloved creators (if not a bit flawed) of the biggest TV show in history to becoming the butt of jokes and the target of much fan ire, after the new season of ‘Thrones’ has infuriated a large chunk of fandom. The problem isn’t the story that is being told, which has its own issues, but instead, the WAY it’s being told, leading many fans to question the actual talent of the writers.
Of course, my feelings are now readily available for perusal, but long story short, Benioff and Weiss have shown over the last two seasons of “Game of Thrones” a penchant for rushing through story and character development in favor of spectacle. While the duo has released exciting, and stunning, episodes of ‘Thrones,’ the story that made the series into the colossal success it’s become has been lacking, to put it nicely.
Obviously, we don’t know all the behind-the-scenes machinations that have gone into the recent seasons of the HBO series, but the creative failure has put doubt in the minds of many “Star Wars” fans that were originally hopeful that the duo was shepherding in a new generation of films.
These most recent complaints also don’t touch on the fact that Benioff and Weiss have routinely been criticized over their treatment of female characters and characters of color on ‘Thrones.’ That is an entirely different discussion with the idea of historical accuracy versus woke storytelling.
Oh yeah, and let’s not forget good ol’ Rian Johnson. He has to be breathing a sigh of relief, a little bit at least, since it would appear that fans have finally let go of ‘The Last Jedi’ and are moving onto Benioff and Weiss for criticism. That being said, we also have to wonder what the future of the filmmaker’s own “Star Wars” trilogy looks like. Will it be post-2026? Or perhaps a Disney+ exclusive? Or maybe it’s falling apart? We’ll find out soon enough.
— Attractions Magazine (@Attractions) May 14, 2019